Our mini holiday - To Telford, Birmingham and back








If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you will know that last week I took a little break away with my boyfriend to Telford from June 2nd to June 5th. While a little break away to the UK midlands doesn't set the world alight for many people, for us it was just what we needed. With a busy summer full of work approaching my other half and I decided it was somewhat necessary to take a mini holiday up north to Shropshire to pay his nan a visit and have some time away from south east Kent.

We travelled up on Monday leaving shortly before midday on the train and our journey was going great and running so smoothly up until our connection between London and Birmingham. The train we were on suffered a technical fault meaning we were delayed for over an hour, therefore missing our connecting Arriva Trains Wales train from Birmingham Intl over to Telford, so we had to catch the one an hour later admist a lot of rushing about.

If you know me, you will know I absolutely detest having to rush and run for public transport, it really sets my anxiety on edge because I have such a weird issue with timings etc and prefer to be somewhere loads of time before I need to be. Anyhow, we arrived in Telford at 17:00 instead of 16:00 and then finally reached Alex's nan's house by 18:00. Telford confuses me because even though Alex's nan lives in a small town 40 minutes away by bus (but only 10-15 minutes by car) it is still classed as Telford, and Telford is called "the town centre". It baffles me because everything is so spread out but never mind - I'll get used to it one day!

Our first evening in Newport (yes there is another one instead of just the Welsh town or one located on Isle of Wight!) consisted of a few drinks at our "local" pub called The Railway Tavern whenever we visit; it's only 5 minutes down the road on the high street and is a fairly modern establishment. Comfy chairs and sofas were scattered and several TV screens adorned the walls - it reminded us of another local pub we use at home so it was nice to feel comfortable.

Tuesday day time consisted of a day trip into Telford for shopping and lunch along with a walk in the park situated behind the shopping centre. Luckily Tuesday was the driest day of the lot whilst we were there which helped and enabled us to have our little venture outside. We found a LUSH shop so I had a nosey inside whilst Alex waited outside the door way. At first I was quite excited because a lot of people who I follow on Twitter and Instagram harp on about Lush products, but if I'm honest, I didn't really like it! This shocked me but it must have been the mix of aromas that circled the shop - too sickly sweet for my liking. It gave me a headache so this forced a speedy exit!

That evening, after a huge curry meal followed by apple pies and custard for pudding, we took a walk through Newport, with Alex deciding to take me through a little housing estate which led to the other end of town as the only part of Newport I'd previously seen on our 2 visits before were his nan's road and the main high street! The weather remained dry which was good for our little walk (to help burn off some dinner calories too!) before deciding on a different pub this time called The Pheasant for a couple of drinks.

Wednesday was our last full day up north. Originally the plan was to visit Chester but we decided that was too far and too much hassle to get to so chose a day out in Birmingham instead, to visit the Bullring. I'd never been to Birmingham before so this made a change but it was quite a good day. We don't get these opportunities often so it's nice to do different things while we are able to. Alex decided on arrival that he'd let himself in for a bad afternoon because it was obviously a shopping centre and he knows what I'm like, however it was him who ended up buying more than I did! I'm not the sort of person to buy clothes etc for the sake of buying something. Alex bought some new shoes in TK Maxx which were a nice blue canvas type of shoe, as well as some new tops and a jumper in Primark, amongst a few other little bits.

All in all it was a nice day out, actually quite relaxing and the evening proved the same really. More drinks in the Railway plus the England game that was on tv before heading back home for sleep ahead of our early morning wake up call to head back home to Kent.

It was so lovely to spend a few days away from our usual little routines and I hate that the time flew by for the duration we were there. That always happens, doesn't it? Time goes slow when you're at home and in your own little world but as soon as you step away from that bubble and go elsewhere the time flashes before your eyes!


No comments:

Post a Comment